Friday 21 March 2014

A Series Of Unfortunate...?

I very recently finished reading 'A series of unfortunate events' by lemony snicket; and when I say 'reading' I mean listening to audio books. It turns out it's much more convenient. I like actually reading; but laying in the dark with my eyes closed listening while trying to sleep is more relaxing, and doesn't cause arm ache from holding a book for hours. Audio books can also be horrible depending on who's reading them, and luckily in this case, everything was much more entertaining as Tim Curry was reading them!

There are 13 books in the series, and there are 13 chapters to each book (14 on the last one). The chapters being read are on average 25 to to 30 minutes long (a few being up to an hour). So it's quite easy to comprehend how long it has taken me at the pace of several hours listening every night or so!

You may be thinking "what's he doing reading children's book series?". Don't worry, I can read adult books, I'm not a dummy; but for some entertainment, book series such as these are always a go-to. They may not be the best stories in the world, but they are simple, effective, and perfect for something you can enjoy but not concentrate fully on. Also they are usually written for the imagination of children, which is a nice thing to try and hold on to.

I got drawn to the series after I enjoyed the movie (of the same name) and shortly realised there was not going to be a sequel, so I turned to the books. I soon found out the movie is actually a mixture of the first few books (stylized  and adapted). For that reason the first few books were (sort of) spoiled, but at the same time I was very interested in the many differences between them all.

For those of you who don't know; the basis of the story is that a set of three children become orphans which sparks off a series of less-than-optimal situations for the children which are narrated by lemony snicket (a pen-name and also a character in the story who is documenting the story of the orphans). The basis of the story is the children trying to survive great threats and solve the questions related to their predicament (in which creates a trail of  more questions).

Without giving too many spoilers; Because of all of this there ends up being a sort of philosophical/ moral base to the story which is never particularly revealed, and there seems to be many further linked tales which are just left untouched or thrown by the wayside. Its a very unusual style, which I think adds to the theme of the books, but it does cause many questions to arise, which is why I'll probably spend some time on related wikis trying to deduce/ find out more about some of them.

It'll also mean I'll probably do a blog post or so about what I find, and a sort-of review, It might also inspire me to write something on some of the other (probably children) books I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment