Friday 10 December 2010

Kinection?

I'm a big fan of the Iron Man films; there is something about the combination of Marvel, great characters, comedy, lots of intricate 3d-ness and technical stuff which really does it for me. (note the big picture that I re-created at the top of the blog)



You may or may not know that most of the film is actually completely non-existent e.g. the scenes; simply green-screened or edited in!

There are several things that I really like in the film, the first is the suit - It's soo... Technical and shiny and it moves in wonderful ways and... mmm...Yeah. The suit-up scenes are always my favourite parts:

Iron Man: The Mark III Suit

Iron Man 2: The Mark V Suit

The second thing I really like is the holograms, displays and HUD's which are shown in the film - this is what I have really come to talk about.

Some of the displays portray technology which is already in use - I guess it gives the film a sense of realism - whether it involves touch-screens (found in most modern phones) or projected keyboards.

Laser-Projected Keyboard
The Film also contains a lot of technology which is not so realistic - Holograms and floaty-things for instance.

Iron Man Interactive Hologram

As an Ex - DT student who used a lot of CAD/CAM techniques, the concept of creating or previewing anything in this way really fascinates me.

I found this 3D company who has made videos such as this; I'm not sure if they actually worked for the film or whether they did it off their own back, but the things they have come up with are amazing. It also shows a scene from the film with, and without, the scene around the actors edited in.

Now for the reason I am here:

I found a recent Viral video which has shown somebody manipulating the new abilities of the new Xbox Kinect. Now, I'm no gamer - and new consoles and their games are usually well out of my price range so don't expect me to know what I'm taking about or to describe in any detail of how or what they have done - All I know is that they have just come one step closer to physically recreating the holographic displays seen in the Iron Man films.

The Video

I was like - "That is soooo Iron-man Inspired."
Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment